Friday, May 23, 2008

My First Setback


I had received pretty good feedback about the cakes I had done thus far. So I was excited when my sister-in-law asked me if I would make the cake for her husband's 29th birthday party. I worked the day before the party and we have a little one at home so it was about 10:00pm when I STARTED the cake! I had sent my husband out on a hunt for more eggs because the grocery stores were all closed for the night and I didn't have enough. I had planned to make a big rectangle cake with chocolate icing. Fatigue and just plain stupidity set in when I tried to put one layer of cake on top of the other and I dropped the whole thing on the floor. The worst part about it was, James and Chloe had gone to bed so I couldn't blame it on distractions. It was all me! I chucked that cake so hard into the sink it wasn't funny. By this time it was 1:00am and I was dog-tired. I had a bit of left over batter and a choice to make. Do I stay up all night and try again? Or do I make do with what I have? I opted out of starting over. I knew Bill (the birthday boy) would find the funny side of it. I made him a significantly smaller, but still delicious, cake that was just for him! On the way to the party I stopped in at Thrifty's and bought a bigger cake for everyone else! I was right though, he did find my misfortune hilarious!

No comments: